If someone were to ask you to reflect on what you think have been your three biggest blessings in 2017, how might you respond? Would you have trouble limiting it to three? Would you answer quickly with the first thoughts of thanksgiving that come to mind? Or, might you weigh factors such as personal successes and failures or, say, the current state of our country or world? Blessings come many different shapes and sizes. What’s key is recognizing them as such. As a wife and mom to to teenagers and one tween, I
make ask everyone seated around our Thanksgiving table to give thanks before we eat our meal together. (The way my teens’ eyes roll to the backs of their heads I know they love it.) As a brand and public relations manager of businesses and organizations spanning various interesting industries, I thought it might be interesting and poignant to pose this simple-sounding yet oh-so-potentially-complex question to six Texas businesses, all of them, small businesses – many of them, family-owned. Because gently peeling away the outside of a brand, a lot like an onion, can reveal what gives flavor, zest, and sweetness to so many things it touches.
So today, I give you a glimpse behind these strong, lovely, and impressive brands – to the things and people who have touched them the most in 2017 – to whom and what they give thanks.
Sybil Webb, Owner SOUL Readings and Yoga
Sybil is actually one of the first people to whom I wanted to pose this question of Thanksgiving. Mostly because Sybil is this beautifully intense and wise woman for her 30-something years. Sybil has this partly innate and partly learned ability to tap into one’s soul. Literally. She methodically reads souls. It’s one of the most interesting (and slightly intimidating) thing I have ever experienced. Sybil is adept at seeing what a person may not even see about him/herself. She is gifted at teaching you how to use that information to live your life to its fullest and/or gain peace and comfort in connecting with your soul. Yet, this idea of peace has been anything but easy for Sybil to achieve in 2017, despite launching a successful business. Because sometimes, life throws us a major curveball.
- I am grateful incredibly grateful for this opportunity to teach and practice yoga. I love that it is now my “job” to watch people get stronger physically, mentally, and spiritually.
- I am very thankful to be present during the final stages of my father’s life as he battles cancer. I’m grateful for our relationship, all the love we share, and the peace.
- I am grateful that I know myself. That I really know myself and allow myself to continue my spiritual journey. And, I am blessed on this journey with an amazing husband, family, and friends.
Dr. Annabelle Garcia, Sonterra Dermatology
When you see Dr. Annabelle Garcia, you are immediately struck by not only her outer beauty, but by this gorgeous and jovial light that radiates from her filling any room she walks into. Confident, kind, and intelligent, Dr. Garcia is a physician who goes above and beyond for her patient’s well-being. It is no surprise and not at all cliche that health tops her thoughts for 2017.
- I am so grateful for my health and the health of my family, most importantly, our two growing daughters.
- I could not be more thankful for a growing Dermatology practice. I get to do what I love and love what I do every single day. This is something that would not be possible without our wonderful patients and a truly fantastic staff.
- Warm Texas Weather! I’m from Laredo, and, my husband and I do not handle cold very well! (laughs).
David “DJ” Jones & Diane Jones, Shooting For Success & David Jones Pro Training
Have you ever met someone for the first time and feel like you want to actually invite them to that special Thanksgiving dinner? (Such a good feeling). That is how I felt the first time I met former professional basketball player turned pro trainer David Jones and his lovely wife, Diane. With the pair, the conversation is always warm and inviting, usually turns long, and, is often centered around travel and family (and of course, basketball).
- (DJ) I am most thankful for my daughter, Mailee and how, when faced with adversity in her first year of college, she remained focused despite a school transfer and disruption to her academics and basketball career. She’s now at a new school, earning great grades and looking at a very exciting opportunity to play ball for her new school and even globally. For that, I am so very grateful.
- (DJ) Shooting For Success. In 13 years, 2017 has been our best year yet, by far. Basketball is life to me and I feel like after playing pro overseas and having so many great opportunities, I am exactly where I am supposed to be helping to shape up and coming players. I am thankful to all the hands that have gone into making Shooting For Success the best youth basketball program in Texas.
- (Diane) In addition to being so grateful for our daughter Mailee, I am also thankful for DJ. He and Mailee are the rock of my world. I am so proud of DJ that, despite obstacles in his career, he has allowed his faith, passion, and will to always strive for the best to lead him to success after success. DJ has even taken our organization global in 2017, which is so exciting!
- (Diane) I am grateful for my health. I am thankful I can exercise, be active, and attempt to keep up with DJ. (laughs).
Lisa Sinn, Keller Williams Legacy
When Lisa Sinn, founder of Lisa Sinn Keller Williams Legacy, shared with me what she’s most thankful for in 2017 I threw my hands in the air and nearly broke out into a whoop whoop dance because I can relate. Her response was so honest and real – very much like the Platinum Top 50 realtor, herself.
- Rest. (Naps!) I am thankful for naps. I pour my heart, soul, and whole being into everything I do whether it’s helping a family sell its home, being a mommy to our three young children, or volunteering with our neighborhood association or my kids’ schools. This year, I allowed myself to take a nap and am so very grateful for those peaceful and restful moments that refuel me in so many ways.
- I am thankful for a husband who loves and supports me and my often crazy and grandiose ideas. I’m also thankful for my village of friends and fellow moms.
- I am grateful for exercise and discovering it in a new way in 2017! My husband Chuck and I completed in two, 100-mile bike rides. It taught me that (we) are all stronger than (we) think.
Dr. Patricia Gomez Dinger, Advanced Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
One look inside the clinic of Dr. Patricia Gomez Dinger and you will undoubtedly see a cape and shield somewhere – on a T-shirt or maybe hanging on her office door. It is reflective of this Allergist’s fight for children with allergies, whom she so lovingly calls her “Food Allergy Fighters”. Dr. Gomez Dinger is the only Allergist in San Antonio to treat peanut allergy with Oral Immunotherapy, or OIT, in addition to treating seasonal allergies, asthma, and immunology issues with patients of all ages. Having worked with Dr. Dinger for nearly three years, I have often wondered if she might be hiding a superhero cape elsewhere outside of her practice too because this mom of four balances caring for patients in two San Antonio area locations, motherhood, volunteerism and more like, well, a true superhero.
- I am thankful for my children and my family.
- Health. I am so grateful for good health.
- I am thankful to do what I love everyday with a wonderful staff and patients who have put their trust in me for their health care.
Holly Tucker, Country Recording Artist
There is a reason why if you attend a show (which you must) of Holly Tucker’s, you will likely hear the Texas Country Artist sing a cover of Martina McBride’s “Blessed”. Holly is cognizant that she has been very blessed – over and over again. Faith runs deeply for this Baylor University graduate. It is what has shaped Holly and the career, that in 2017, recognized her as Female Vocalist of the Year among Texas Country Music, twice.
- I am so grateful for my family and my growing music team. I feel fortunate to share my music journey and passion with those I’m closest with – my family – who are the rock of my music team. I am thankful that our team has grown so large in 2017 with a phenomenal and dedicated band and lead guitarist, a booking agent, publicist, and radio and music promoters. I am very lucky to be able to surround myself with these people.
- Faith is everything to me. This industry, like so many, can be challenging and 2017 has presented its fair share of bumps along the road. But the beautiful thing I discover over and over again is that just when we question how we might get through a difficulty, God comes right on through. My faith guides me. Always.
Later today, my table will be full with my three children, husband, mother, and my beautiful cousin who lives in Austin. My heart will be even fuller.
- I am grateful, especially this year, for recognizing the importance of time and being present, in every moment with my three children (14, 14, and 11) and incredibly hard-working husband. Watching my children grow into these young adult bodies this year has made me realize how incredibly fast time goes. I am grateful for the conversations – big and small – that we share together.
- I am thankful for health. I am so grateful that my family is healthy and that my mom, dad, and in-laws keep on top of their health. Every day with them in good health is a gift.
- I feel blessed to have the opportunity daily to work with some of the absolute best people who are not only leaders in their respective industries, but, kind, thoughtful, and simply enjoyable to be around. I am thankful for my savvy social media manager, Erin, and so very thankful for such a diverse and interesting group of clients. I am grateful to learn from them, to be inspired by them, and, to consider them a part of the Savvy Media family who are always welcome at the table.